Concept-arts of Dolly from the very birth of the idea! >w< I can make those for other characters too, but in line with their appearance and spoiler alerts. I'm sorry for awful quality of 90% shown here, I love drawing tiny sketches of many invisible lines somewhere in the corner of my small notebook.
1-4. I finally take a look at McGee's Alice. The second game mesmerizes me with the atmosphere and float of imagination. I find out that McGee was going to remake The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as well, but dumped this project. As I absolutely adored this book in Volkov's adaptation (and his later books, too) as a child, this idea sounds cool. The first sketch of Dorothy is painfully random and unoriginal as hell: a cute girl with a chainsaw. By the way, the plot that I make after quickly looking through the original text is very gloomy and surreal, definitely not like the present one. So if you think that BBR can be dark or weird sometimes, be sure it was much worse.
5. Totally random sketch, but I like Dorothy's face. I try to repeat it in 6).
7. Perhaps, my favorite drawing. Once again, I got Dolly as I imagined her simply by an accident, I can't copy that face anymore.
8. I had three variants for Toto: 1) a real dog (cocker spaniels were my favs) that doesn't play any important role like in the book 2) Dorothy's plush toy that she carries with herself 3) some creature made of different parts of animals (?) In the end I choose a cat because
I was obsessed with that concept of lil' demonic creature and it didn't work with dogs very well.
10. In the beginning of the story Dorothy meets the Good Witch, who in exchange of information about the road takes the Wicked Witch's silver(?) shoes and gives her eye the ability to see the past (I needed it for some interactive elements). I couldn't think of a good use of silver shoes, so I rejected them with that eye later.
11. First color concepts.
12. Eye from 10) without pupil. Plus a variant of the Golden Hat.
13. At the same time I find out
's comics and fall in love with them.
14. Random idea: the house Dolly wakes up in is a hospital or asylum.
15. Dorothy and Tin Man's variation. Gonna tell about that later.
16. New Golden Hat, the Golden Top Hat now, to be precise.
18. Grown-up Dolly, was going to be shown in the end of the story, rejected.
24. Attempts of visual development of the beginning.
26. Dress designs, some of which will be used in the comic.
27. The main dress in particular was born from this - i.cubeupload.com/JoIVcx.jpg
28. Attempt to imitate the 'Umbrella Academy' style.
29. Just spoilers.
30. Pencil sketch of the 5th page.